Saturday, July 14, 2007

Watermelon Burger Patties (?)

Whenever we are at the grocery store during the summer, Pratik insists on buying watermelons. I am sort of reluctant because I find this gigantic fruit really messy to cut. To top that, Pratik doesn't want to do the cutting 'cos even he dislikes getting watermelon juice all over the the kitchen counters towards the end of the job! So I generally end up buying the sliced watermelons. That way our job of cutting the watermelon gets easier. Another thing I dislike about the watermelon is that the rind has to be thrown away. So I wasn't very excited when Jai and Bee announced "watermelon" as the AFAM fruit of the month. I actually even thought of not sending in any entry for the event.

Now, my husband isn't much of a talker, but when I decided not to participate, we switched roles and I had to listen to his rant about how I was only being lazy about having to cut the watermelon (Mind you, he still wouldn't cut it for me and yeah, I know I could have got the cubed ones for three times the price). In return for Pratik using the "lazy" word on me, I came up with this recipe and that ultimately gave me my peace of mind :) You should have seen the expression on Pratik's face when he had the first bite of this watermelon rind burger! Of course, I was the one who was talking after that.

Ingredients:
1 cup shredded watermelon rind
1 tsp red chilli power
1 tsp chopped rosemary (You can substitute this for any herb that you like)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Handful of breadcrumbs
Goat cheese for topping
Salt

Recipe:
1. Remove most of the juice from the shredded watermelon rind by squeezing it with your hands. Save the juice for later use if necessary.
2. Mix the rind, chilli power, rosemary, cinnamon and salt. Mix the bread crumbs slowly to make a dough like mixture. Add bread crumbs as necessary depending on the consistency of the mixture.
3. Make 4 small or two large burger patties by pressing between your palms.
4. Coat the outer sides with bread crumbs.
5. Heat some oil in a pan and cook the patties until they look golden brown and crispy on the outside.
6. Top the patties with some goat cheese and rosemary leaves.

Serving:
Serve the patties with some ketchup or sweet and sour sauce and some garlic bread on the side.

10 comments:

Coffee said...

I am wondering how come your posts are not being caught by the feed reader??!!!
This is an absolute innovation I must say! :)

Vini K said...

hmm,this looks really unsusual..BTW,same Q as coffee,have you sent in your name and blog URL ro Indira and Mathy's foodblogdesam?That way it is easier to keep in contact with all the food being served up in blogs:)

swapna susarla said...

very creative patties poonam.!!

Priyanka said...

i never knew that watermelon rind could be used in so many varied recipes!!!

Jayashree said...

Very creative indeed!!!
This is my first time here and you've got me hooked with the patties and the eggplant crunch rolls(love that name).

Peggy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peggy said...

Wow, definitely creative! You've piqued my curiosity- who'd have thought of making watermelon burgers? I'm definitely going to try these out sometime!

Padma said...

that is so innovative Poonam...I didnt knew one can use Watermelon rind too..simply awesome!

Rajitha said...

wow! and thanks.. i dislike melons (any kind) but always buy them as they are low on calories and helps you to fill up fast. Alas.. they die a slow death in my fridge everytime. Now i know what to do with the rind of melons..

Unknown said...

Very innovative recipe indeed.I am going to try soon.